In Gay Hendricks’ book The Big Leap, he talks about the difference between living your life in the Zone of Competence or the Zone of Excellence versus living your life in the Zone of Genius. What I find fascinating is his account of many clients who experienced ill health as a direct result of not living in their Zone of Genius, but rather settling for a career, relationship or life situation that did not utilize their purest forms of talent and inspiration.
Many physical symptoms such as headache and back pain are warning signs, like the flapping and wobble of a flat tire when you’re driving on the highway. The symptoms are saying, Slow down, stop what you’re doing, and pay attention, because there’s something out of integrity here. ~Gay Hendricks, The Big Leap
Indeed, it’s bad for your health to ignore your dreams. You might know exactly what it is that you’re not doing in your life (that every cell in your body is yearning to do, that you are politely ignoring). Or, you might be searching for that spark — that knowing when your heart is aligned with a project or an idea or a lifestyle.
One of the best (and most fun) ways to focus your dreams and make them manifest is to create a vision board. If you’ve watched Oprah in the last 10 years, you know what a vision board is. But, I will explain exactly how to make one Josie-style. 😉
Materials you’ll need:
- 1-2 big Foamcore board(s) from an art supply store
- 1-2 glue sticks
- Magazines, catalogs, photos, quotes, and images that you LOVE
- Your favorite playlist
What to do:
1) Clear a nice big space where you can work uninterrupted for an hour or two. A dining room table or living room floor are good options.
2) Put on your favorite tunes.
3) Start cutting out images that make you feel good when you look at them. Don’t think too much about it, you can edit later. For now, just make a pile of magazine clippings, photos, quotes that make you feel happy.
4) Once you have an arsenal of happy-feeling images, start laying them out on your Foamcore board in a way that’s pleasing to you. There’s no right or wrong way to do it. Just ask yourself, “Do I want to create more of this in my life?” It might be simply a color that you want to have more of in your life, or a picture of a beach, or some words that you cut out like, “health” or “wealth” or “love.” (Though images can sometimes be much more powerful.)
5) When you have everything the way you want it, start gluing everything on your board, one piece at a time.
6) Stand back and soak in your marvelous creation of things that make you happy.
7) Place your vision board somewhere you will see it everyday. (The inside of a closet works well, because then it’s not out in the open, but you’ll open the door and see it every morning when you get dressed.)
8 ) Notice how instantly your mood changes when you look at it. It’s amazing! The longer you have your vision board, you will start to notice the manifestation of certain things in your life that you first created on your vision board.
9) Make another one! You can never have too many.
Recently, my fiance and I were invited to his brother and sister-in-law’s house for an impromptu summer BBQ dinner. They invited both sets of parents, siblings, kiddos and canines to sit and play outside in their gorgeous backyard while we all enjoyed a meal together. As I was eating my food, the sun was setting and I was filled with an enormous sense of peace and gratitude.
Suddenly, I realized that the image I had placed in the center of my vision board — a group of family and friends seated at a large outdoor table, enjoying a farm-style dinner together — mimicked exactly this evening that I was experiencing!
Never underestimate the power of your vision board and its ability to focus your unique brand of happiness into reality. If you expanded your feelings of happiness to occur for longer periods of time, at higher intensity levels, think of the effect that would have on your health. Think about it.
1) Leave me a comment below, I would LOVE to hear from you!
2) “Like” this post if you liked it and share it with your friends using the fancy buttons below.