In my clinical experience as an acupuncturist, I have noticed that a woman’s fertility is particularly responsive to ancient, sophisticated systems of medicine such as Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
I believe it’s because TCM views the body as an ecosystem with many moving parts, which mirrors the complex structure of a woman’s fertility.
Ancient therapies are what I first turn to when something ails me, my family, or my patients because they work, they are gentle on the body, and they promote bringing the body back into balance instead of throwing it more off balance just to eliminate symptoms.
Below are four of my favorite ancient healing therapies that work to restore the balance of a woman’s fertility, thereby increasing her fertile health and chances of successfully conceiving, with or without the help of western medicine.
Fertility Femoral Massage
- Redirects blood flow to the reproductive organs (uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes)
- Only perform during follicular phase, before ovulation or day before embryo transfer, and not after
- Hold down on your femoral artery for 30 seconds, one side at a time, three times in a row, 2x/day
- Caution: Do NOT do this exercise if you might be pregnant, have heart disease, circulatory problems, high blood pressure, history of strokes or detached retinas
- Click here to watch a video demonstration by Dr. Randine Lewis
Fertility Foot Bath
- All the fertility meridians in Chinese medicine (Spleen, Liver, Kidney) pass through the feet
- Warming the feet warms the reproductive channels and improves circulation
- Nothing fancy, fill a basin or pot with the warmest water that feels good to you, and soak for 10-30 mins
- Wonderful to do this before bed, as it also improves sleep
- Optional: add 2-5 drops of lavender essential oil for added relaxation
Qi Gong Breathing Exercise To Enhance Fertility
- Ancient practice using the breath (life force)
- Reduces stress, balances hormones
- Regulates HPO axis (Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Ovaries)
- Do this exercise as often as possible
- Caution: Do NOT perform during menstruation or pregnancy
To perform this breathing exercise, place the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth, inhale deeply through your nose while sending your breath down the midline of your body to something called your Dan Tien, which is two inches below your belly button, while letting your belly expand. At the end of the inhalation, imagine sending your breath further down to your uterus and pelvic floor while doing a Kegel exercise (aka pretend you are trying to stop the flow of urine). As you then exhale and release the Kegel, imagine your breath traveling back toward your tailbone and up your spine to the top of your head, down the center of your forehead and out through your nose. Thus completing the circle of breath from where it started.
Maya Abdominal Fertility Massage
- Repositions the uterus to restore hormone communication
- Can also help reduce or minimize PMS
- Increases blood flow to the reproductive organs
- Find a skilled practitioner by asking for a referral or searching online–if you’re in the Denver area, I can recommend a great one!
- The practitioner will be able teach you how to do it on your own at home 🙂
To learn more about how to enhance your fertility through ancient medical practices, modern nutrition and supplementation, the scientific method of charting your cycle, and healing physical, mental, or emotional blocks or trauma that may be preventing you from conceiving, check out my super popular and effective 21-day online program, Fertile Woman.
Registration closes February 19th at 9pm MT. The full program runs February 22nd – March 13th. I hope you’ll join us!
To your fertility. <3
Photo by Brooke Cagle